Playlist of all videos
|Wednesday, July 19
Welcome from Sen. Mike Crapo
|7:30 - 9:15am
Keynote Breakfast: Infrastructure and the Economy
Transportation infrastructure connects people, businesses, and commodities, and is a critical component of a healthy economy. Unfortunately, transportation infrastructure in the U.S. has consistently fallen short of its safety and reliability goals. This keynote session will explore the importance of investing in infrastructure as a way to improve regional resiliency and competitiveness.
- Mark Brajer, Tlicho Investment Corporation, Chief Executive Officer
- Andrew Neely, WSP USA, Senior Vice President, Federal Government Affairs
- Karen Hedlund (Moderator), Surface Transportation Board, Vice Chair
- Bruce Agnew (Moderator), Pacific NorthWest Economic Region (PNWER), Director, Regional Infrastructure Accelerator (RIA) Program
|9:30 - 10:30am
Railroads are a Backbone: Importance of Railroads to PNW Communities
Freight rail networks across the U.S. and Canada are a critical link in the supply chain of several critical products and industries, including agricultural products like fertilizers and grains, critical minerals, consumer goods, chemicals, planes, and more! From raw materials to finished products, running through every major metro area and through most rural communities, railroads are the backbone of many Pacific Northwest communities and industries. Beyond this, freight railroads are an important example of how private sector investment in infrastructure can benefit local economies. This session will explore the importance of railroads in the 21st century, including their critical role in securing the Pacific Northwest’s agricultural supply chain, and how railroads are a climate-conscious way to connect Pacific Northwest goods to domestic and international markets.
- Dave Strohmaier (Moderator), Missoula County, Big Sky Passenger Rail Authority, Commissioner
- Angela Caddell, BNSF Railway, GVP Agricultural Products
- Karen Hedlund, Surface Transportation Board, Vice Chair
- Adrian Guerrero, Union Pacific, AVP Public Affairs - West
- Peter Friedman, Agriculture Transportation Coalition, Executive Director
|10:45 - 11:45am
Better Together: Moving People & Freight on the Same Tracks
Introducing High Performance Rail - Identifying ways to co-invest in freight and passenger rail to improve overall rail performance. How have passenger rail service providers across the U.S. and Canada successfully navigated their relationships with host freight railroads? How can those lessons inform the current discussion to expand passenger rail service in the Pacific Northwest?
- Elaine Clegg (Moderator), Valley Regional Transit, Executive Director
- Andrew Johnsen, Columbia Strategic Consulting Group, CEO
- Rob Padgette, Managing Director, Capitol Corridor Authority
- Rep. Jake Fey, Representative, Washington State Legislature
- Sen. Chris Gorsek, Oregon Senate, Senator
|12:15 - 1:30pm
Keynote Lunch Plenary: Smashing Roadblocks: Permit Modernization and Reform
Permit modernization has been a hot-button topic across sectors, including transportation, mining, broadband, energy, and other key sectors that are important to our Pacific Northwest regional economy. This session will explore a variety of questions including: What can the Pacific Northwest U.S. states learn from our Canadian partners on ways to improve the existing permitting process while maintaining high standards? What role does permit reform play in meeting emissions reduction goals and increasing environmental justice? How can the region work together to promote best practices at the state and local level?
|2:00 - 4:00pm
U.S. DOT Programs & Office Hours
The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) supplemented existing US DOT discretionary grant and formula fund programs, and created dozens of new, targeted programs to help fund infrastructure across the US. Despite this record-setting investment, there aren't enough grant dollars to fund all of the infrastructure projects needed to have safe, reliable, resilient infrastructure through the end of the 21st Century. Join the PNWER RIA program and the Greater Northwest Passenger Rail Summit as they host technical assistance and innovative finance experts from US DOT to explore ways to access new and existing grant programs, how to leverage TIFIA and RRIF financing, and get projects over the finish line.
- Carl Ringgold, Build America Bureau, U.S. Department of Transportation, Program Development Lead
- Cecilia Arritola, U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of the Secretary, Grants Management Specialist
- Dr. Santiago Cruz-Roveda, Federal Railroad Administration, Regional Outreach – Supervisor Project Sponsor Outreach
- Sarah Williams, USDOT Build America Bureau, Project Development Lead
- Laila Kral (Moderator), Local Highway Technical Assistance Council (LHTAC), Director
|Thursday, July 20